Anonymous asked: Do you know of any webistes with information about vintage hats? My grandma just gave me quite a few and I know nothing about hats, I can't even tell what decade they're from.
Fashion Era is a very good resource on the history of fashion although it doesn’t have that many pictures. I think you may find this post useful too. Also, here are some quick tips if you want to date your grandma’s hats (taken from the last site):
- Pre-1930’s hats will normally have a hand sewn lining.
- Hats with interior grosgrain ribbons started in the 1930’s.
- 1930’s-40’s hats will often have a hat size tag.
- A circular wire loop on the back of the hat to hold it to the head dates it to the late 1930s - early 1940’s; while two ‘V’ shape wire clamps on the sides date it to the early - mid 1950’s.
- The last element of a pre 1930 hat to be completed is the lining. If there are threads sewn through the lining to anchor decorations, then those decorations are not original to the hat.
Hope this helped and sorry for the late reply!